Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Hello PAINTS!


Sweet, glorious tubes of colour and possibility, how I have MISSED YOU!!! It has been a couple of weeks since I have been able to dive into this world and get messy. It has been WAY TOO LONG! The preparations for the ART in Bloom show kept me busy scanning, printing and packaging...everything but painting...I am SO HAPPY to be back at it!

I wanted to formally introduce a line of paintings I have started called my Warrior Feathers. I have learned in the last year that I am from Metis descent. A family member hired a researcher and revealed our lineage to our Metis roots. While I always suspected that I was, it was so affirming to have the paper proof to go along with it.

In the last couple of months, I started painting these Warrior Feathers who earn their feathers for different reasons. They exude strength and courage. Their feathers are a symbolic way to honour specific characteristics they possess. I have really been enjoying this process. It has allowed me to pay homage to the part of me that didn't have the paper proof but knew it all along...



This is the latest in the series called TRUST. She earned her wings by trusting her intuition. This is a quiet and powerful strength. By wearing her feathers, she honours this within... I have two other completed paintings in this series.


Strength, was my first painting. She has earned her feathers by honoring where she's been and where she is. She is strong. She is beautiful. And, the second one is LOVE. She has earned her feathers by opening her heart again. She knows there is always a risk, but she has so much LOVE to give...

I don't know how many lie ahead...I have two more that are waiting to be painted...I am hoping for twelve...a possible calendar filled with Warrior Feathers...What do you think?

11 comments:

  1. oh my, how i love these, danielle. absolutely amazing! i've been wondering how to share the stories behind my paintings, and after hearing your beautiful history and story for these, I see the richness and depth that comes through. It's all in your character's eyes. These paintings are beautiful on their own, but to know the story makes them shine with an amazing spark of universal life.

    Thank you so much for sharing!
    -juliette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a brilliant idea. Strength, love, hope, and all the other things you need throughout the yearXx
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them, and the idea of 12 for a calendar too. Where you've gone so far is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see the rest of your gorgeous warriors, and hear their stories. Happy painting! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the last picture of your creation. just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. look at all those paints!! and so organized!...:-)

    i adore your feather girls and i love the idea of doing series paintings. it can be very rewarding! and to see a bit of you and your roots in each. just wonderful danielle...wonderful!!
    love, love you!
    xoxo
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yes, i know you've got 12 in ya!

    love looking at ALL Those paints! i don't paint but so admire those who have such talent for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous, loving the theme and cant wait to see all together in the series. glad you are back with your paints.....ah heaven. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. danielle...your mind is beautiful the way it works.
    i would LOVE a calendar filled to brim each month of warrior feathers.
    GO.
    DO IT.
    so happy watching you fly my sister.
    (and thank you for the sweetest comments on my blog recently)
    loves to you.
    c

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's a great idea, and you must do it. This warrior is adorable, and I love her story. I want to see more. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest danielle, this is such a wonderful idea and a great line of paintings! I love them! Have a lovely merry happy weekend and love to you!

    jacqueline
    http://jqlinesocuteithurts.typepad.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a fan Danielle, a huge fan ... :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your words. I tuck them inside my heart pocket. xo